Sunday 18 June 2006

The Gentle antis vs. the strong pros

Thinking about the Olympics recently, and the fact that I'm going to pay for some of it (via my council tax, thanks Ken), I was reminded of the power of the few versus the many --- if the few are vocal enough and the many are only mildly concerned. 5 million people who don't want something can be easily and democratically over-ruled by a few thousand who do, provided the former aren't organised and the latter are. Most of the people who don't want the Olympics in London view it will mild distaste and, like me, did not realise the danger until it was too late. Well, I mean, who would have thought London would have beaten Paris? Meanwhile of course the pros were organised, connected, and happy to spend my money. It almost makes me want to get involved in politics...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home