Tuesday 26 May 2009

The psychogeography of investment banking

I will ignore for a moment the fact that Epicurian Dealmaker does not make very accurate use of the term `psychogeography' (see Mind Invaders for a reasonable if amusingly partial introduction), and answer his question. First he quotes Tolstoy, the important part being
A Russian is self-assured just because he knows nothing and does not want to know anything, since he does not believe that anything can be known.
The question is then
Naturally, I exclude the Russians from my analysis, because I am completely unaware of anyone currently operating in the financial sector who will admit to knowing nothing, much less take pride in it.

Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that many of the MDs I have ever met in M&A fit Tolstoy's description admirably.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Epicurean Dealmaker said...

Well. As both author of the post and an MD in M&A, I suppose all I can do is channel Sergeant Schultz:

"I see nussing – NUSSING!"

5:20 pm  
Blogger David Murphy said...

Sorry, E.D., I have to confess that I did actually know that when I wrote the post. But I did not mean it badly, but rather as an homage: you are definitely in the few rather than the many. Multi sunt vocati, pauci vero electi.

8:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home